Author Topic: Burglars, Robbers, and Thieves  (Read 732 times)

DJ

• Where are you going?
  • Don't you know I wrote all the hits?
    • View Profile
    • djangodurango.com
Burglars, Robbers, and Thieves
« on: February 25, 2019, 07:58:21 AM »
So I take a lot of influences from all kinds of stuff, but obviously a lot of the media I consume is about heisting, robberies, and burglaries. So I'mma post about some of that stuff and I invite you to also post things you know about 'cause I can always do with more stories 'bout stealers.

DJ

• Where are you going?
    • View Profile
    • djangodurango.com
Re: Burglars, Robbers, and Thieves
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:09:44 AM »

Heartthrob

Comic book set in the 70's. Lots of Fleetwood Mac references. Callie Boudreau gets one of the first heart transplants and finds that her new heart came from a bank robber who is now haunting/flirting with her. Her job also fires her because the insurance claim from her surgery is too expensive, so her new ghost boyfriend teaches her how to heist. Then she forms a crew and embarks on a life of crime.

DJ

• Where are you going?
    • View Profile
    • djangodurango.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 08:31:33 AM »

Crooks - The Big Heist

More 70's shit (I'm more of an 80's kind of girl, but whatcanyado?). The leader of this crew is also named Cleo (but I gave Cairo that shitty codename before I played this). Also has a funky-ass soundtrack.

So Cleo and her crew are trying to steal the Luna Stone when they are betrayed by that redheaded guy. Shit's devastating and it breaks the whole crew up. Years later, Cleo and Bishop (ponytail guy) get a tip that the Luna Stone is up for stealing again so they go for it. Ends up becoming this whole thing where the gang gets back together and they have to prevent redheaded guy from holding the whole world hostage with a Luna Stone based earthquake machine. Fuckin' silly but I LOVED this game.

DJ

• Where are you going?
    • View Profile
    • djangodurango.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 08:42:22 AM »

Mad Men S3E13: Shut the Door. Have a Seat.

Okay so not strictly thieves, but the episode is basically a heist movie and they steal a bunch of shit from their own office.

What's Alan Watching? did a review of the episode and there's a thing in there that I always think of in these early story setting days:

"Shut the Door. Have a Seat" felt very much like a caper movie: the jazzy piano music, the intrigue, the plan unfolding perfectly as Lane walked in, got fired by St. John, and walked out happily, leaving a dumbfounded Moneypenny in his wake. Specifically, though, the episode felt like my favorite part of any caper (or other kind of ensemble adventure) movie: the gathering of the team. I have been, and always will be, a sucker for those sequences in movies like "Ocean's Eleven," "The Dirty Dozen" and "The Magnificent Seven" where the two leaders (there are always two guys at first, aren't there?) travel around to assemble the perfect team of experts, explaining their value and using various tricks of persuasion along the way to get them on board.

DJ

• Where are you going?
    • View Profile
    • djangodurango.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 01:34:47 AM »
Avengers: Engame Spoilers
[close]

Related story: picture it, "Rats", difficulty high enough not to have release from custody without a trade. Everyone's in jail but Logan and Logan doesn't have Dominator. We watched him fight off Bulldozers and shit, hiding in that little nook under the counter that they later filled with trash to keep you out, for an hour and a half because we had hope that we could figure a way out of this bind. I think eventually we got the idea for one of us to quit out of the game entirely (we'd already tried disconnecting but not restarting and that didn't work) and rejoin and that was how we finally un-arrested everyone else.

And hey, while we're here, Ant-Man itself also qualifies.

I especially like the part at the beginning where he tries to fly right but - surprising no one - society goes out of its way to make it hard for a convict to participate, thereby practically forcing him back into crime. Cool prison industrial complex, bro. You will totally love Luis too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:41:39 AM by DJ »

DJ

• Where are you going?
    • View Profile
    • djangodurango.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 01:40:48 AM »
Oh, you know what? Guardians of the Galaxy too.

It's a shame Ant-Man never gets to meet these guys 'cause him and Star-Lord would get along FAMOUSLY.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:48:16 AM by DJ »

;