Author Topic: Forum Improvements  (Read 456 times)

Django Durango

• Where are you going?
  • Administrator
  • Crewmate
  • Don't you know I wrote all the hits?
    • View Profile
    • djangodurango.com
Forum Improvements
« on: October 30, 2019, 11:07:51 PM »
This is where I notify you about improvements that I've made to the forum.

Since I reinstituted the forum, I've added the following features:

Spam Protection: I've installed the full recommended suite of spam protection plugins. For the most part, it's cut spam accounts off at the pass, but I still check all new accounts against StopForumSpam's databases.

Say Thanks: this plugin allows you to "thank" a user directly for their contributions to the forum, even if you don't have anything to say in response. I might edit this to more a "Like" system though just so people don't hung up on semantics. Ideally, I'd like you to just "thank" any post that you like, regardless of whether it's factually helpful or if you just thought it was funny, you know?

Private Profiles: I added a plugin that allows you to make your forum profile completely private. While forums are a somewhat outmoded piece of technology, I hope think they might be due for a comeback and I'm always on the lookout for things that modernize the experience. I think increased privacy settings beyond what you'd traditionally expect are a part of that. Obviously admins will still be able to see your info, but now you can decide whether you want everyone, members only, or only administration to be able to see your profile. You can change these settings by going to Profile > Account Settings.

Homepage Login: If you were having trouble logging in from the homepage (it gave you an error about your session timing out and redirected you to the dedicated login page), that should now be fixed.

Please feel free to ask for features or tell me about problems and I'll see what I can do for you.

Django Durango

• Where are you going?
  • Administrator
  • Crewmate
  • Don't you know I wrote all the hits?
    • View Profile
    • djangodurango.com
Re: Forum Improvements
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 02:01:22 AM »
I broke a lot of shit last night. Again! But this time, I had working backups and so nothing was roon't! I am side-eyeing Say Thanks though. It's on thin ice. Gonna leave it for now but it'd better watch itself.